Labrador Manor Project

This blog follows the restoration of Labrador Manor in Port Matilda, Pennsylvania. It will be both a source of information about what has been done and also an example of how plans change during the course of work. For our family and friends, it will keep them connected with our progress. For casual visitors, it may help with their own restoration efforts. For us, it will provide a way to look back at our efforts as they were and not just from the viewpoint of completion.

More Demo

This weekend was mostly taken up by Fire Company training, so not much was accomplished. Outside, I extended the temporary fencing to give the dogs some more space. I also removed the old storm door in preparation for adding a dog door. Most of the work that got done was inside work.

The wall in the north bedroom that is being relocated is nearly down. I still have to pull the baseboards off (it and the two adjacent walls) and the finish knocking out the last of the lath that is behind the baseboard. Then I need to relocate some wires. Then I need to pull down some of the ceiling (to where the wall will go). Finally, I will take down the wall and set it back up in the new location. After that I can rip off peeling wallpaper and loose plaster. Once that is done, I'll go buy the drywall and some vapor barrier. When the materials are in hand, then I can pull down the rest of the ceiling (which is damaged) and put up the barrier and new drywall. Then I can patch and skim coat the other walls, tape and fill the new drywall, paint it and then put up the crown moulding. Some final touch-ups and the room is done, except for carpeting. It's a lot of work, but each individual step isn't all that bad. The worst will be putting up the new ceiling.

I picked up the jack columns today to start lifting the sagging beam. Over the next few weeks, I should get that all straightened out and properly supported so that the sag is gone permanently. Then I can take the jack columns out to the barn for that project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home